Monday 7 February 2011

Twenty-One Today!!


Strictly speaking it was twenty-one last Saturday but 'today' sounds so much better. It's hard to believe that it's 21 years since I went to the hospital and came home with a wee girl, my Red. It was a worrying time because the ambulance people had gone on strike and I thought I might have to go in an Army ambulance if Big Man couldn't be reached in time (we're talking about the days when expectant fathers didn't hang around to mop your brow). He was serving at a naval base about 15 miles away at the time, and pretty hard to contact. And Red decided to come early so Big Man had gone off to work all unconcerned. To cut a long story short he was located and got home in time to take me to the maternity hospital where a mere five hours later Red appeared. She was a bit poorly and had to go to the SCBU for a while but at that time you could stay in the hospital for up to 10 days. I wanted to stay because we have no family near us and I knew that Big Man was due to leave imminently for the Brecon Beacons, on training with the Navy. As it happened we had one day at home together, all three of us, before he left, then one day on my own with her. The next day my lovely Mum came down to stay, which was a blessing. And of course then I went on to have Mr Charming and Carb Addict. I stayed in hospital for ten days with all three children...and I cried when I had to come out with Carb Addict! The staff were so lovely there - you can see how lovely they are if you ever watch 'One Born Every Minute'. I personally don't watch it...if I was to see someone I know labouring away on TV I don't think I could ever look them in the eye again.

What I don't understand is, how can Red be 21 when I am only 29?!!! ;P

Here's to a good week ahead xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message.....