Sunday 9 January 2011

Adieu My Young Bucko....Howdy Ranchero Pie

Mr Charming went back to uni today which means that it's just me and Big Man Monday to Friday with Carb Addict at the weekends. It wasn't a very willing departure - Mr Charming hasn't been very well and would rather have stayed at home than return to the wilds of Cornwall. He's only just finished his first term and if he already doesn't want to go back it's a bit worrying. Still, he'll be fine when he gets there...that was my mum's answer whenever me or my sister were unwell and wanting a day off school. 'You'll be fine when you get there'. Once you'd made it to school what choice did you have? There was none of this being sent home ill when I was a lass!
This is one of Mr Charming's favourite dinners...I made it for him last night.

RANCHERO PIE

500g minced pork
tin of beans
tin of chilli beans in chilli sauce (or a second tin of beans and some chilli powder)
hot sauce to taste
salt and pepper
1 onion, chopped
splash of oil
about 6 medium sized potatoes
grated Cheddar from a piece about 75g

Start by peeling your spuds and boiling in salty water. Whilst they are boiling away gently fry the onion in the oil until it is just see through and softened. Add the minced pork and fry that off until the pinkness has gone. Chop at it as you're frying or it'll stay in big lumps and you don't want that. Then add the tin of beans and the tin of chilli beans (or second tin of beans and chilli powder). Season and add a bit of hot sauce. This is usually by the Tabasco sauce in supermarkets but you can get different types at ethnic stores.
When the potatoes are done drain and then mash them. Add the grated Cheddar to the mashed potato and mix thoroughly. Put the mince into an ovenproof dish and spread the mash on top. Then pop it into your oven until the topping is brown. I've got a fan oven and I use 180C with the grill on at the same time. I'm not sure what the Gas Mark would be or electric oven - sorry!
You can add sweetcorn to the mince if you want but I don't bother. It's delicious without it.


Bon Appetit!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message.....