Sunday 17 April 2016

The Second Sex?

Have you ever wondered why it is that in many public places the Ladies bathroom does double duty as the Disabled toilet? I can understand why the bathrooms have to be combined when it's a small concern, for example the café where Big Man and I frequently go for Sunday brunch - just a little one-woman concern that has complied with access regulations by providing facilities for wheelchair users. But why lump them in with the Ladies toilets? It can't be for reasons of space since I imagine a urinal takes up no more extra floor space than a wall-hung hand drier. Could it be that it's expedient for civic planners to combine two disadvantaged groups of people together? Has anyone noticed a joint Men/Disabled loo recently?


pic from here

  

3 comments:

  1. I've never noticed this. I've noticed a few cafes which have combined toilets. I have noticed a few places offering male and female baby changing facilities, when my kids were babies they where usually only in with the ladies.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message.....